Sunday, September 26, 2010

What I learned from my first 5K

On Sept. 4, 2010 I set a goal to run a 5K. I started walking and jogging in my neighborhood a few days a week. I found a 5K towards the end of October that I planned to sign up for. However, Ryan had read that there was going to be one held in Abita Springs to support mental illness awareness. Jackpot!!! There is no cause closer to my heart. So, I signed up for it and it was Sat. Sept. 25th. What a great day and a wonderful experience. My friend, Amber, decided to join me at the last minute and I was SO happy she did. Having a running partner was a God-send. I ran the race in 37:55. More importantly, I ran the entire time which was one of my goals.

The race taught me:
1) I can set a goal and accomplish it.
2) All things are possible with God's strength and love (okay, I already knew that)!
3) I am much stronger and capable of doing things than I think I am.
4) I can run!
5) People of all shapes and sizes can walk or run a race.
6) Running with a friend is more fun than running alone.
7) I want to keep running!

My next goal will be to run another 5K and then a 10K before the year is over. I then would like to train for a half-marathon for Spring/Summer 2011!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment